Magento is a new open-source eCommerce platform that has a main goal of providing webmasters or online store owners with a remarkably wide range of customization and fine-tuning capabilities.
It’s architecture is based on modules – each of them is in turn responsible for certain type of features, processes or activities.
Here’s a small part of Magento platform feature list:
Analytics and Reporting
* Integrated with Google Analytics
* Admin Dashboard for Report Overview
* Sales Report
* Layered / Faceted Navigation for filtering of products
* Product comparisons
* Product Reviews
* Order status and history
* Re-orders from account
* View, edit, create and fulfill orders from admin panel.
* One-Page Checkout
* SSL security support for orders on both front-end and back-end
* Shipping to multiple addresses in one order
* Checkout without account/Guest Checkout
Search Engine Optimization
* 100% Search Engine Friendly
* Google Site Map
* URL Rewrites give full control of URL’s
* Support for Multiple Currencies
Marketing Promotions and Tools
* Flexible Coupons (pricing rules) with ability to restrict to stores, customer groups, time period, products, and categories.
* Landing Page Tool for Campaigns
* Search Engine Friendly URL’s
* URL Rewrites
* Auto-generated Site Map
* Google Site Map
* Newsletter Management
This is only a small part of all the features available in a present release. You can check out a complete list by downloading the feature list PDF file. In addition to that the developers team is now working on a new release which will include more useful stuff (like possibility to sell downloadable products, manage gifts and gift certificates as well as Affiliate Program tool).
With all this features complexity Magento eCommerce platform remains quite simple to use and does not have any special hosting requirements – everything’s as usually.