This blog post introduces F2, the first Magento template powered by Magento 2 framework. You can download it for free! Are you interested?
Then, let’s find out what is so special about Magento 2 framework. It’s easy to foresee that we are going to say that the new framework is more powerful and feature-rich than its previous version. Otherwise the update makes no sense. Its code is cleaner and more current.
Let’s quickly recap main functional features of the framework:
- Full page cashing. That means that all of your site’s pages will be built in a static file system and the average page loading time will be reduced to 1-2 seconds instead of 5-10 seconds for non-cashed files.
- More streamlined checkout. Guest checkout is assumed. The existing customers can log out without having to remember their passwords. The option to select a credit card type was removed as well. Now the system figures it out automatically, based on the first digit you enter (e.g. 3 = Amex, 4 = Visa, 5 = MasterCard, etc.).
- New file structure. With Magento 2, you get everything placed under the “app” structure, except for config.xml. It becomes easier to access all templates, layouts, js and css files. Web developers obtain more opportunities in terms of customization, without the need to change site’s functionality.
- Multi-shopping option is available, reduced table locking. This feature will be appreciated by large eCommerce stores owners. Now, there will be no table locking when 100 or more people are trying to place an order on your website at the same time. Magento 2 allows to experience multi-shopping within a single transaction providing the users with an opportunity to compare and review multiple products. With the new update, the platform has become the leading provider of open multichannel innovation.
- Easier editing. Visual Design Editor of Magento 2 allows to modify containers and blocks without any special coding skills.
In a nutshell, Magento 2 includes a number of new advanced technologies like HTML5, CSS3, Apache 2.2, Magento performance toolkit, Magento UI Library, PHP 5.5.x, Magento performance toolkit, CSS Pre-processor, MySQL5.6, PSR Compliance, etc. You can always learn more about Magento 2 enhancements on the developers page.
At this point the author of the original blog post about Magento 2 Free Theme from TemplateMonster Compared to Luma leads the reader further and starts to compare TemplateMonster’s Magento 2 freebie with the default Magento 2 theme. Click the link and see the matching, it’s interesting!
So what’s so special about this free Magento 2 theme?
According to October 2012 eCommerce Survey that has been recently released at tomrobertshaw.net, Magento is the most popular eCommerce platform now.
There are many benefits of building a website on Magento: first of all, Magento provides you with a set of tools you need to set up and manage an online store; secondly, you can improve your site as much as you wish as there are hundreds of Magento themes and extensions (both free and paid); thirdly, Magento has an active community and those using Magento Enterprise and Magento Go editions can get assistance from an experienced support team.
As you know, there are a few versions of Magento: Magento Community Edition (this is a free edition and it is recommended for those who have some knowledge of Magento or want to have it in order to build effective web shops), Magento Enterprise Edition (it’s a great choice for medium and large businesses) and Magento Go (it’s perfect for small businesses).
But what’s so special about Magento? Why does it top the list of the world’s most popular eCommerce platforms? We bet you can not answer these questions without visiting the official Magento site.
Have you ever wondered what devices people use to browse your Magento site? Does your site looks properly on various devices? In other words, does your website adapt to the device it’s being viewed on?
If not, we encourage you to see Responsive Magento Themes that has been recently launched at templatemonster.com. With these templates you can easily build responsive eCommerce sites. For now, there are only 5 designs in TemplateMonster’s collection but the company promises to add more themes of this kind or a regular basis.
As you scroll down you’ll see Responsive Magento Templates in different niches (fashion, traveling, furniture, sports and drinks). Please click on the screenshots to find more information about the themes you like most.
After all, why not to use Magento themes optimized for desktop, tablet and mobile to make your webshop multi-device friendly so your customers could reach you wherever they are and whatever device they use to surf the web? (For more themes, please follow this link)
Responsive Magento Template #1
If you’re familiar with Magento platform, then you know that it is built using the Zend Framework. Unfortunately, the Magento developers have discovered a vulnerability in this framework. The potential danger is that an attacker can read any file on the web server where the Zend XMLRPC functionality is enabled. In other words, password files, configuration files and even a whole database can be affected.
So if your site is powered by Magento, you must take some steps to protect your business. First of all, get the latest patch appropriate for your platform by following one of the links below
1. Those merchants who are using Magento Enterprise Edition or Professional Edition should access the Zend Security Upgrade patch from Patches & Support in the Downloads section of their Magento account. (Please note users should log into their accounts before making changes).
2. Those merchants whose sites are built with Magento Community Edition should get the patch depending on the version of Magento they are using:
- Community Edition 188.8.131.52 through 184.108.40.206
- Community Edition 220.127.116.11
- Community Edition 18.104.22.168 through 22.214.171.124
We hope you will protect your Magento sites now, and will stay tuned to the latest releases of Magento to keep your business secure in the future.
The Magento team has just released Magento Community Edition 126.96.36.199. This version allows Magento users to enjoy new features and improved security. For instance, now you can create nested field sets in the System configuration, define dependencies between fields from different field sets and take advantage of enhanced payment options. If you’d like to see a detailed list of bug fixes and improvements, then check the release notes that are available at the official site of Magento.
Whether you’d like to test how Magento works or you’d like to update your current store, feel free to download Magento Community Edition 188.8.131.52 here.
We hope your experience with the latest version of the Magento platform will be positive in every aspect, but if you find any issue, please report it in the bugtracker.
Magento Enterprise 1.12 and Magento Community 1.7 were released on April 24, 2012 meaning Magento users are welcome to download and use the latest stable versions of the Magento eCommerce platform.
From what we have learned about Magento Enterprise 1.12 and Community 1.7 so far is that these releases are equally useful for online merchants and developers. For instance, they can build mobile optimised stores, segment visitors for better results, easily generate coupon codes as well as take advantage of other improvements, including CAPTCHA functionality to prevent fake logins and more payment methods. Also, the latest releases will bring a new API, improved backup functionality and some extra features developed especially for the Europeans.
Now we invite you to visit the official Magento blog to read detailed information about every new feature.
Magento Preview Version CE 184.108.40.206-beta1 was released on March 2nd, 2012, but this is not a security release which means it should not be used in a production environment.
As every new release, Magento Preview Version CE 220.127.116.11-beta1 is packed with new features, improvements, changes and bug fixes and to see them all, please visit release notes page.
The latest release is in beta status now it is only recommended for testing purposes. So whether you are a Magento user or a Magento developer, you are welcome to test Magento Preview Version CE 18.104.22.168-beta1 and share your experience with the Magento community. And of course, in case you find a bug, please don’t hesitate to report it in the bug tracker.
Magento Preview Version CE 22.214.171.124-beta1 will be also useful for those who develop Magento extensions because they can test their inventions for compatibility with this release.
If you would like to get the latest version of Magento, you can either upgrade through the Connect Manager, or download it from the official site or via SVN.
Last week the Magento team announced the availability of Magento CE Version 126.96.36.199 Stable. All online merchants who use Magento as a platform for their e-commerce businesses are welcome to upgrade their sites any time.
With this release Magento users will enjoy many improvements and bug fixes, including the ability to integrate PayPal Payments Advanced, the ability to handle errors relating to product price, password reset, etc. For detailed information about new features and enhancements please refer to the release notes page.
Feel free to download Magento CE Version 188.8.131.52 Stable and improve your Magento site, but do not forget that Magento experts always warn about the dangers of upgrading without backing up.
If you find any bug when using the latest version of the Magento eCommerce platform, be sure to report it in the bug tracker.
The Magento team has recently announced the availability of Magento Preview Version CE 184.108.40.206-alpha1, but this is just a preview release of the upcoming version. In other words, you should not use it on live Magento sites.
If you want to test Magento Preview Version CE 220.127.116.11-alpha1 and see what features will be available with the upcoming release of the Magento platform, please upgrade through the Connect Manager, download the alpha version from the Magento site or upgrade via SVN.
The new features you will find once you download Magento Preview Version CE 18.104.22.168-alpha1 are as follows:
• New and improved layered navigation price bucket algorithm
• Captcha functionality added to some of the forms
• Base prices based on customer groups
• Auto generation of multiple coupon codes for a price rule
• Redesigned Mobile theme
• And much more…
To see a full list of the features and improvements which the latest version of Magento has to offer, please visit the release notes page.
And if you find any bug, be sure to report it in the bug tracker.